DJ Course in Detroit
This beginner course focuses on the basic knowledge and techniques of DJing. This course offers hands-on instruction covering the history of DJing through the basic beginner techniques of blending, mixing, and scratching. This course offers a survey of the equipment, as well as the acceptance of all different musical tastes.
- 1st Class (45 min): DJ History-How DJing started and has evolved in its many forms and techniques.
- 2nd Class (60 min): Song structure of various musical genres. **There will be a focus on Hip Hop and EDM (electronic dance music).
- 3rd Class (45 min): Getting familiar with the functions of the equipment used in DJing.
- 4th Class (45 min): Timing
- 5th Class (60 min): Basic scratching and timing.
This course will utilize the skills acquired in the beginner phase to put them in to practice with the purpose of being able to create an original mix and DJ set. **At the end of this course, I would like the students to be able to construct an original mix for an assigned length of time.
- 1st Class (45 min): Breakdown of a song (Intro, verse, bridge, chorus, outro, and phrasing).
- 2nd Class (60 min): Beat Matching (the technique of being to match two different records together to play at the same tempo).
- 3rd Class (45 min): Picking the music you want to mix
- 4th Class (60 min): What are “Cue Points” and how to set them on vinyl records or digital software.
- 5th Class (45 min): How to organize vinyl record and digital crates by musical genre and set list.
Intermediate Mixing and Scratching:
This phase is geared to help the DJ in their analog movement and control of the records.
- 1st Class (60 min): Intermediate techniques of Mixing, Blending two tracks together.
- 2nd Class (45 min): Turntablism (The art of manipulation recorded records to produce an original analog track).
- 3rd Class (60 min): Scratching (The art of moving the record, analog, back and forth to create a sound and tone). We will also be learning to scratch on beat.
- 4th Class (60 min): Mixing different BPM’s (Beats Per Minute) and musical genres; transitions.
- 5th Class (45 min): Beginning of advanced scratching techniques.
Phase 4 (Final course): Advanced Scratching:
This final phase will be a continuation of proficiency of the skills learned in the previous course. This course will focus on the advancement of the more the complicated skills of advanced scratching and trick mixing.
- 1st Class (60 min): Advanced Beat Juggling.
- 2nd Class (60 min): Delayed record mixing, trick mixing.
- 3rd Class (60 min): Advanced scratching techniques and patterns (Flares, Transformer, Crabbing, Chirping).
- 4th Class (60 min): Transitioning smoothly between the different scratches.
- 5th Class (60 min): Students will perform a three minute scratch routine incorporating the techniques and improvisation they have learned throughout the course.