Guitar Lessons in Plymouth Mi
Call us at 734-418-0640
10 things to know and ask about guitars and guitar lessons:
1. What type of guitar do I want to play? – Electric, Acoustic, Classical, Bass Guitar. The best was to answer this is to ask yourself which one are you most passionate about. If you are unsure take a guitar lesson at GP Music Academy in Canton and our teachers will introduce you to the various choices and help you make an informed decision.
2. How much should I spend? – 100 dollars? 100,000 dollars? If you’ve made the choice to take guitar lessons, then it’s very important that you don’t go for the cheapest instrument possible. Guitar Lessons are an investment in yours or your child’s education. Serious students will take years of lessons and it’s best to do those guitar lessons on a nice instrument. There are plenty of moderately priced guitars that function very well for learning. The reason not to go too cheap is because most cheap guitars sound terrible, fall apart easily, and you’ll most likely destroy any inspiration you once had to become a serious player.
3. Which company or brand to choose? Some people will tell you that you have to get a Gibson or a Fender. These two companies are the Coke and Pepsi of guitars. They are the most advertised brands. The most advertised brands don’t always give you the best value for your dollar. Some of that guitar price has to pay for their high marketing costs. Consider other brands before automatically going with the most popular.
4. Is it okay to buy Chinese made guitars? Chinese made guitars can offer outstanding value for the price. The reason not to buy one is more to support the American worker more than it is about quality. Many American companies make many of their parts and full products in China.
5. Is the size of the guitar important? This is of the utmost important. You wouldn’t buy size 12 shoes for someone who wears a size 6. Make sure you have a guitar that you can hold comfortably. If the sales associate tells you to buy a larger guitar for a child because they can grow into it, walk out! Go to a store that knows what they are talking about.
6. Should I play right-handed or left handed? Left-Handed guitars are rare and many lefties actually play right handed. Many technical things have to be learned with both hands anyway. If you do decide to play lefty be prepared for disappointment every time you go shopping. Stores rarely carry more than a couple models. The good news is that there is an online store dedicated to selling lefty guitars. Visit South Paw Guitars online.
7. Is it better to buy local or online? I love Sweetwater.com. They’re customer service is 2nd to none and they have a great online store. The advantage of shopping local is that it supports the local economy and you can physically hold different models and get the real feel for the guitar.
8. Should I buy any accessories? Get a guitar tuner, metronome, guitar case, picks, foot stool, guitar stand and music stand. These are the essentials needed for successful play.
9. Should I buy any method books or videos? Ask your guitar instructor for the best method book and videos. Hal Leonard is the largest print music distributor. They have tons of material for guitar.
10. How often do I change strings and other maintenance procedures? Many people completely ignore this part but you definitely should not! Each guitar model and company has slightly different recommendations. Contact your local guitar technician for the best advice on keeping your guitar in optimal condition.
Sign up for Guitar Lessons today:
Call Now: 734-418-0640
Guitar Lessons in Grosse Pointe
Leave a Reply